Oliver & Boyd
Oliver & Boyd was founded in 1807 / 8 by Thomas Oliver and George Boyd. The firm was based at Tweeddale Court off the High Street in Edinburgh. Oliver & Boyd specialised in medical publishing and educational textbook publishing. The firm was taken over in 1896 by George and James Thin and John Grant, well established Edinburgh booksellers. In 1962 Oliver & Boyd was acquired by the Financial Times organisation. Later its publishing function was bought by Longman’s, and in 1990 it closed its operations in Edinburgh.
The Oliver & Boyd archive including minute books, balance sheets, correspondence, letter books, agreements, editorial, production, advertising and wages records, etc are held by the National Library of Scotland in their manuscripts department.